Strengthening our community together
For decades, the Boys & Girls Club of the Wisconsin Rapids Area (BGCWRA) and the John E Alexander | South Wood County YMCA (SWC YMCA), have provided strength and support to our community and to those individuals who need us the most. We are looking toward the future and combining efforts to build a stronger foundation where children, adults and families can become more; connected, confident and secure through activities which promote holistic health and wellness.
Throughout our years of service the SWC YMCA & BGCWRA has been an important part of the community, anchored in its neighborhoods, adapting services to meet the ever changing needs of the community members. We are looking to build a new facility that will be better equipped to fulfill the ever changing demands of the individuals we serve.
We are not simply building a physical space; we are creating a place that is going to change people’s lives. People walk through our doors discouraged, worn-down, and tired …. but they leave energized, confident and happy. It is our goal to empower people to enter the world with confidence and tackle the problems of the day.
Over time, both the BGCWRA and SWC YMCA have been trusted resources for delivering high quality, character-driven youth and family programming for residents throughout the greater south Wood County region. We invite you to join us in the Building Futures Together Capital Campaign, that is inspiring growth through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
Why We Are Building
The new center will…
- Teach positive character values to youth and teens.
- Nurture the potential of kids, promote healthy living and foster social responsibility.
- Provide high quality programs and services for health seekers and their families, addressing chronic disease caused by lifestyle choices.
- Provide a safe, caring environment to build community within an often isolated population.
- House a Healthy Living Incubator for health innovation and a platform in which to reach more individuals (inside and outside of our organization) through new community based health interventions and outreach.
- Meet the growing physical and social needs of our community.
- Share community resources without duplication of services.
- To address a major quality of life indicator for attracting young adults and families to our community.
What We Are Building
Boys & Girls Club Amenities
- Teen Center
- Game Area
- Learning Center & Study Lounge
- Gathering and Social Areas
- Arts & Humanity Areas
- Music / Drama Room
- Arts Classroom
- STEM Classroom
- Aquatics Center
- Six-lane lap/teaching pool
- Family adventure pool with whirlpool
- Healthy Living Facilities
- 8,000 SF health and wellness center
- (2) Group Exercise studios
- Teaching Kitchen
- Indoor walking/running track
- Gathering and Program Space for All Ages
- Intergenerational Rooms
- Child Watch and Family Adventure Center
- Full-day Child Care Center for 60 children
- Adult, family/special needs and youth locker rooms